Subject: Re: netboot from system 7.1? (was: how to install on a cold
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1999 23:06:23
>Thanks for all good suggestions!
>
>> Starting with an NT machine?  You're asking how you deal with Apple
>> DiskCopy images on a Windoze NT machine?  Good luck!
>Yea, it is a problem, isn't it?
>

>> Didn't that Mac IIcx come with *any* boot disks at all?
>Probably, but where is it?  (This machine is old, and I am probably not
>the 2nd owner, but maybe the 5th).
>
>I have a small SCSI disk (40Mb) with System 7.1 on it.
>I also have a 120Mb empty SCSI disk, but I probably wont be able to put it
>into the IIcx.
>I have no CD player.
>
>I managed to mount a shared directory on the Windows NT computer, but
>still the downloaded 7.5.3 files doesnt help me much.  The nice mac just
>mark them as PC files, and thats it.  What can I do to install the system
>from there?
>
>As you can see I am a fresh mac owner, but I intend to get it in network
>with my VAXstation 3100 already running NetBSD.
>
>Another option is to just leave the system 7.1 intact, and netboot the mac
>from NetBSD/vax.  Is this possible?

OK, now you're being a bit too vague for me...what is your END GOAL with
the IIcx? Do you want to run NetBSD or do you want to run MacOS? Or are
both fairly equally important to you? If you want to run NetBSD, then leave
7.1 on the 40 MB drive & mkfs the 120 MB for NetBSD. If you want to run
MacOS (and want to upgrade to 7.5.3), then you'll just need to ftp the Disk
Copy utility from Apple, & then use that to mount the System 7.5.3 images,
from where you can install the new system.

Also, Apple has an image called Network Access Disk, that will boot any
machine that can use System 7.5, with EtherTalk- and LocalTalk-accessable
AppleShare.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.