Subject: Re: Source line too long?!?
To: Andy Finnell <andyf@vei.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/06/1999 10:32:31
On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Andy Finnell wrote:

> When trying to compile one of professor's nifty socket wrapper classes,
> I got the following error:
>
> $make -f makefile.select
> g++ -g -c bcs01brg.cpp
> /tmp/cciEWpRS.s:	Assembler messages:
> /tmp/cciEWpRS.s:313: Fatal error:Source line too long.  Please change
> file /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas/imput-scrub.c then rebuild assembler.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>
> Any ideas to what's wrong?  I'm running NetBSD 1.4 on a Quadra 700
> 68/2gig.  Surely I don't have to rebuild the gnu assembler...

Some line in your code is generating an assembler line which is
overflowing the read buffers in the assembler.

Try using the -S option instead of the -c option - this will stop g++
before calling the assembler, so you can look at what's going to the
assembler. Then look around line 313 and see what's happening. :-)

take care,

Bill