Subject: Re: 1.4.1 parity error on boot (continued)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/03/1999 10:57:54
>While waiting for responses (which weren't coming!), I recompiled my kernel
>with DEBUG turned on.
>Surprise! It booted!
>I will try recompiling tonight with DEBUG turned off again & see if I can
>reproduce the original problem!

Yep, it wouldn't boot. So here is the situation:

1) Using GENERIC, but selecting 'sbc0' instead of 'ncrscsi0', the compiled
kernel will NOT boot, getting the error

sbc0 at obio0: options=1<PDMA>
scsibus0 at sbc0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
sbc0: parity error!
sbc0: parity error!

2) Using the same config, but with DEBUG turned on in addition, it boots
and runs correctly.

I seem to remember that some time in the past there was a problem of
kernels booting or not depending on their size - I suppose this could be
the problem. I am using

Mac IIvx - 68 MB RAM, disks are 2 1020 Quantums - 1 is partitioned into 140
MB swap + the rest root+usr. The other is partitioned into 250 MB Mac + the
rest usr1

I will experiment further with other choices of parameters.

Dan Killoran

Got a device you would like to have run on the Mac? Call:
                 Daniel-the-Driver-Maker
      Fast service - accurate work - responsive support

         (Offer void wherever taxed or prohibited!)