Subject: Re: Fatal file system error
To: San Takashima <san@nexusfilm.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/01/1999 15:42:59
On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, San Takashima wrote:

> Thanks for your e-mail.
> But what does it mean "try the Generic....." and "death of ncrscsi
> driver...."
> What am I supposed to do.....
> Sorry to ask you such a thing which is probably very basic....

We have two drivers for the SCSI chip in mac68k's. One is the "ncr"
driver, and the other is the "sbc" driver. Right now you can build a
kernel with only one of the two in it.

You never said what release or snapshot you're installing, so I'm going to
use the 19990907 snapshot as an example.

In ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/current-19990907/kernel
there are 4 files:

netbsd.GENERIC-13.tar.gz
netbsd.GENERICSBC-13.tar.gz
netbsd.MRG-13.tar.gz
netbsd.MRGSBC-13.tar.gz

The ones with SBC in their name use the sbc drivers, the others use the
ncr. (the two with MRG in their names use different adb code than the
others.)

What messages show up during boot regarding the scsi bus? You can get the
messages after boot by running "dmesg | more".

How did you shut the computer off?

Take care,

Bill