Subject: Re: System did not come up ... LC II/420M HD/10Meg RAM/no NIC/no FPU
To: None <ender@macbsd.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/30/1999 20:30:16
Colin Wood  (cwood@ichips.intel.com) wrote:

>Jeremy Snyder wrote:
>> Well I was able to get everything installed on the partitions and
>> thought I was there when it came the first-boot trial.  And it didn't
>> (boot).

[...]

>> root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
>> PRAM:  0x37f2684f, macos_boottime: 0x37f26837.
>> root file system type: ext2fs
>> bad directory entry: directory entry across blocks
>> offset=0, inode=687861313, reclen=43016, name_len=1792
>> panic: ext2fs_dirbad entry
>> Stopped in swapper at _Debugger+0x6:  unlk    a6
>> db>
>> <<<< STUCK HERE >>>>
>>

>what version of Mkfs did you use?  you need the latest version (it was
>released only a couple of days ago).  re-running the new Mkfs and
>reinstalling should solve this problem.  basically, you've installed linux
>on this disk before, and our old Mkfs didn't clobber the ext2fs directory
>entries in the partition, so the kernel thinks you have an ext2fs
>filesystemm when you really have an ffs filesystem...

Jeremy reports that the new version of Mkfs 1.46 did indeed solve the
problem for him.

If anyone else is having this problem they should download this version.
It's on the NetBSD site in the NetBSD-1.4.1/mac68k/installation/misc and
NetBSD/arch/mac68k/installation/misc directories.

There is a minor problem with the file that Jeremy figured out that I
hope to get fixed this weekend though.  It was stuffed on a system that
has the newer version of Stuffit and for some reason needs to be
unstuffed/expanded with Stuffit Expander 4.5.  Although it will appear to
unstuff with an older version the file isn't executable.

Would it be possible to get the "ext2fs" boot problem included in the FAQ
along with the note that one should try this newer version of Mkfs?

Thanks,
-bob