Subject: Re: [: not found - problems with /bin/sh
To: Jt Chiodi <chiodi+@pitt.edu>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/30/1999 19:37:19
On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 02:27:27PM -0400, Jt Chiodi wrote:
> Are you sure that it is a link?  in the netbsd 1.3.2 base.gtz file, /bin/[
> file size is smaller then /bin/sh.  I tried hardlinking and that did
> not fix my problem.  I had to copy /bin/[ from the base back to my
> SE/30 to get it to work.

That would be because /bin/[ is a hard link to /bin/test, not to
/bin/sh.

The first poster was *very* wrong in telling you to sym link it to
/bin/sh - think about this, it makes no sense. You want to perform a
test, you don't want to execute another shell every time you have a [
in a shell script.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net