Subject: Re: More console goodies...
To: Adam Wight <adamw@holonet.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/27/1999 20:32:12
> Okay, now that I know dt exists, I think I'm going to shift my focus from
> simply hacking the ite console to merging most of dt's goodies into the
> default kernel.  Is there enough interest in this to justify the work?

Kinda.  As Bill (I believe) mentioned, it would be more worthwhile to
put this effort into wscons and, perhaps, working with mrz to get some
(or all) of the graphics work that he's done into the kernel.  This
would benefit a lot of people _and_ give mac68k the same graphics/kbd
interface that a number of other ports are using.

dt is actually the result of pulling those features (well, many of them)
_out_ of the kernel.  I, for one, wouldn't be happy to have that stuff
taking up space in the kernels running on my systems since I rarely use
the console at all.  I'm usually using ssh or telnet from an X station...
Or elsewhere...

About the only thing that you won't be able to do easily is the mouse
and cut & paste stuff.  You might, however, be able to write a daemon
that could do this, though--I'm not sure.  It's definitely worth looking
into since, with wscons, it would theoretically be easy to get this
working for other ports, too.

-allen