Subject: Re: console updates
To: Adam Wight <adamw@tulum.brsys.com>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/1999 10:53:20
At 3:45 AM -0400 9/26/99, Adam Wight wrote:
>-How attached are people to the 6x10 font?  Using 8x[8-16] fonts would make
>things run _way_ faster, and also enable netbsd to use standard sets of
>console fonts that are readily available.

I don't think anybody's really too attached to the 6x10 font. If we ever
switch to wscons, though, I think you can load any font you want. In the
meantime, though, an improved ite console would be neat. If you pick
another font, try a font the other ports are using.

Console speed was never really an issue with most people because most folks
go immediately into dt or X from login.

>-Does anyone know if videorowbytes can ever != screenbytes, and if so, if
>writing into the memory "gaps" can cause trouble?

When you say screenbytes do you mean the display width of the screen (i.e.
the 640 in 640x480). If so, then there is often a difference between the
display width and the rowbytes.

The extra horizontal room can be used for many things. Often, it is simply
more video memory so that you can scroll horizontally. I've also seen the
extra horizontal space used for the mouse pointer.

Generally, you don't want to write memory unless you know what's going on
there.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.mdc.net/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill