Subject: Re: Farallon PhoneNet Support
To: Brad Guillory <brad@ductape.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/1999 10:29:54
On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Brad Guillory wrote:

> Hello Bill,

Hello,

> The ethernet card is  a Farallon PhoneNET Card (I have PN580 and PN581 cards).
> The card has a DP8390CN, which I think is a National Semiconductor Part.  I do
> not see another chip which would be big enough to be a 68000.

That sounds like it's a good candidate for this driver. :-)

> I tried to annoncvs the source file that you suggested but the server kept asking
> for a password.  When I tried ssh it had a problem with my cipher.  So I grabbed
> the 1.4.1 syssrc.tgz  (dated Sun Aug 22 18:56:00 1999) and unpacked it.  Looking
> in sys/arch/mac68k/nubus/if_ae_nubus.c I do not see the error message "not
> configured", in fact I look everywhere in sys/arch/mac68k and the floppy driver
> is the only file that contains that text.  I am a bit at a loss, I will look some
> more in the morning.  If anyone knows how the Nubus cards are probed and how they
> are configured I would love to here from you.

Allen's much better at this driver than I am. He's pointed you in the
right direction. :-)

The reason you didn't find "not configured" in this file is that it isn't.
:-) That's because of how NetBSD's autoconfig system works. All drivers
have _probe and _attach routines. The probe routines are called to
determine if the hardware for that driver is present. A non-zero return
value means that this driver can control the hardware. The highest value
wins.

So getting back to your question, you first need to make the probe routine
return 1 when it looks at your ethernet card.

Allen's descriptions said what you need to change in the code to do this.
:-)

Take care,

Bill