Subject: Hanging on logout after lynx crash
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Larry Kollar <Larry.Kollar@arris-i.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/1999 11:58:48
System in question: SE/30, 8MB RAM, 20MB swap, NetBSD 1.4, text-only.

I recently installed Lynx 2.8.2 from the binary packages since I needed
one of the new features (specifically, using an editor on TEXTAREAs).
Unfortunately, Lynx will crash and dump core after editing a form.

It gets worse... things seem to be OK, I rm lynx.core and start it again.
But when I wrap up and log out, the screen goes blank and stays that way
(no login prompt). It seems the only way out is to hit the interrupt
switch and reboot from the debugger.

The screen echoes what I type, so it doesn't seem to be frozen -- but
I left it on overnight before rebooting & it didn't send the nightly
status emails.

I can hook a VT220 up to the serial port & see if I can get it back
that way, but I'd like a few suggestions on what to look for. I suspect
that lynx is leaving something behind that won't let go of the console,
thus the system can't respawn getty.

I'm about to upgrade the system -- put 1.4.1 on a bigger hard drive --
so if the answer is "upgrade," I'm willing. :-)

Please cc me on any responses.

	Larry