Subject: Re: Farallon PhoneNet Support
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Brad Guillory <brad@ductape.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/1999 00:58:50
Hello Bill,

I thought that the OpenBSD kernel was a exactly the NetBSD kernel.  I fig=
ured
that I would go to developers.  I have since tried on the OpenBSD list, b=
ut no
help.  I downloaded a NetBSD Kernel which upon booting gave me this versi=
on
string:
NetBSD 1.4.1 (GENERICSBC) #0: Wed Aug 11 07:03:00 CDT 1999
    fredb@corwin.home:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERICSBC

Here is how the boot proceeded:
Apple Macintosh IIci  (68030)
cpu: delay factor 266
real mem =3D 20971520
avail mem =3D 16175104
using 281 buffers containing 1150976 bytes of memory
mrg: kernel has no ROM vectors for this machine!
mainbus0 (root)
<SNIP>
nubus0 at mainbus0
macvid0 at nubus0 slot c: Radius PrecisionColor Pro 24X
macvid0: 1152 x 870, monochrome
grf0 at macvid0
ite0 at grf0 (minimal console)
nubus0 slot e: PhoneNET=AE IIN (Vendor: Farallon Computing, Inc., Part: ?=
??) Type:
 0004 0001 0108 0100 not configured

When I just rebooted I also get this over and over again after the "not
configured" line"
slot_noint() slot e
slot_noint() slot e
slot_noint() slot e
=2E..

The slot_noint() slot e did not happen the first time that I booted the k=
ernel
though so I am going to ignore it for now ;-)

I figure that this is the stage where things are going wrong though (from=
 above):

nubus0 slot e: PhoneNET=AE IIN (Vendor: Farallon Computing, Inc., Part: ?=
??) Type:
 0004 0001 0108 0100 not configured

The ethernet card is  a Farallon PhoneNET Card (I have PN580 and PN581 ca=
rds).
The card has a DP8390CN, which I think is a National Semiconductor Part. =
 I do
not see another chip which would be big enough to be a 68000.

I tried to annoncvs the source file that you suggested but the server kep=
t asking
for a password.  When I tried ssh it had a problem with my cipher.  So I =
grabbed
the 1.4.1 syssrc.tgz  (dated Sun Aug 22 18:56:00 1999) and unpacked it.  =
Looking
in sys/arch/mac68k/nubus/if_ae_nubus.c I do not see the error message "no=
configured", in fact I look everywhere in sys/arch/mac68k and the floppy =
driver
is the only file that contains that text.  I am a bit at a loss, I will l=
ook some
more in the morning.  If anyone knows how the Nubus cards are probed and =
how they
are configured I would love to here from you.

Thanx, BMG