Subject: Re: First boot failed
To: Fabrizio Catalano <cata003@pn.itnet.it>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/21/1999 13:40:48
On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Fabrizio Catalano wrote:

> I have spent some hours for installing NetBSD 1.4.1 on my Quadra 650
> but at first boot I get always the following errors:

> boot device: sd1
> root on sd1a dumps on sd1b
> PRAM: 0x337e7ac33, macos_boottime: 0x37e7ac2a.
> root file system type : ext2fs
> warning: lookup /dev/console: error 20
> exec /sbin/init: error 20
> exec /sbin/oinit: error 20
> exec /sbin/init.bak: error 20
> init: not found
> panic: no init
> Stopped in swapper at    _Debugger+0x6:   unlk   a6
> db>
>
> On the same machine I have another disc (300MB) with NetBSD 1.3.2 up
> and running.

Good. That'll make this easy.

> Now I should like to use a larger (1GB) disc previously used to try
> the Debian  Linux for 68k.

That's the problem...

> I have used Apple HD SC setup to modify partitions as follow:
> root 32MB
> swap 40MB
> usr 758MB
> HFS 200MB
>
> Then with Mkfs_1.45 I have changed the name of partitions partitions
> and formatted them without errors.
>
> Also the installation of sets was done without errors.
>
> I have done two times all the procedure with the same result.
>
> Maybe is necessary to format the entire disc? I  have not done these
> because I have not a backup of my Macintosh files on the 200MB
> partition.

No.

What's wrong is that there's still info lying around indicating that your
filesystem is an ext2fs filesystem, even though it's not.

I assume you can still boot into 1.3.2? Use that as a basis for a
re-install.

Load the 1.4.1 sets (base.tgz, etc.tgz, kern.tgz, etc) onto the 1.3.2 hard
disk, and boot with it.

The partitions you set up should show up when you do a disklabel of the
"new" disk. I'll call the root one sdXa, and the usr one sdXg, but you
should use the names appropriate for your setup.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsdXa count=20
		# Hopefully this will zero out whatever makes the ext2fs
		# code think this is still an ext2fs
newfs -O /dev/rsdXa
		# make a new filesystem on the root partition. The -O
		# means use the format which the installer understands.
newfs -O /dev/rsdXg
		# Do the same for your /usr partition
mount /dev/sdXa /mnt
mkdir /mnt/usr
mount /dev/sdXg /mnt/usr

cd /mnt

tar xzpf /path/to/the/1.4/files/base.tgz
tar xzpf /path/to/the/1.4/files/etc.tgz
tar xzpf /path/to/the/1.4/files/kern.tgz

You can do other modules here, but I'd suggest trying a boot now to see if
this works (after the next step).

Now you need to edit /mnt/etc/fstab to indicate that /dev/sdXa is /, and
/dev/sdXg is /usr.

Then everything else should proceed as per the instructions once you
reboot.

Take care,

Bill