Subject: Re: The Centris almost boots (and now does)
To: Roger Brown <rogerhb@xtra.co.nz>
From: Ken Hughes <hughes@interchange.ubc.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/13/1999 16:58:11
[ My machine failed to find the console and init, despite what
  I thought was a fastidious and very compliant installation. ]

On 13 Mar 1999,  Roger Brown <rogerhb@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> I think the proble is the 'ext2fs', the kernel thinks the volume
> is 'ext2fs' format (as used by linux) whereas the installer and
> mkfs use the 'ffs' format.
> This is why doing 'ls' in the installer works but the kernel does
> not see it.
>
> I had to do a complete low-level format of my drive with Apple
> HD Setp, followed by partition, mkfs45 then installer.
>
> In my case I had previously tried to run linux on the mac and
> it had left something behind.
>
> Regards
> Roger

Thank you most muchly.

It appears that you are absolutely correct.  (I'd tried debian.)
Guess this is another possible FAQ entry.

I am up and running.  Now I just gotta switch from vi over to emacs.

Your help (and everyone else's) is much appreciated.

Ken Hughes