Subject: Re: netbsd on orange pc card?
To: ulrich hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/12/1999 14:27:05
At 2:05 Uhr +0200 12.09.1999, ulrich hausmann wrote:
>On 21:59 Uhr +0200 11.09.1999, Hauke Fath wrote:
>
>> Nope. I don't do linux if I can avoid it.  ;)
>> And mklinux is ppc only, so no go on virtual pc which is x86...
>
>hauke,
>
>my error. i meant linux. the person who mentioned it was those at
>weinheim (unfortunately i forgot his name) who runs a netbsd
>installation too. i also have another source confirming that (eric
>shepherd, a be programmer).

No offense taken.  =8)

ISTR thatthe www.netbsd.org projects list refers to a porting effort to VPC
by some Australian university.

>anyway, once you've run the orange pc application, which allows some
>settings (similar to apple's compatibility software - i think that
>simple does bios settings/manipulations), i was able to run pretty much
>standard win 3.11 installation. but, up to now, i only was able to do
>that only from a virtual hd (pc drive file), not a real pc formatted
>scsi hd . . .

Afaik, you can boot a netbsd/i386 kernel from/by a DOS tool (DOSBOOT.COM or
somesuch, it sould be in the binary distrib). Even without any userland,
you then can see whether you get a sensible environment after a cold boot
and whether the kernel can make any sense of it (setting up the MMU,
detecting hardware etc). The fact that you run from a virtual HD should be
transparent to the OrangePC.

But all this is possibly  more on-topic on port-i386...

	hauke