Subject: The Centris almost boots (175 lines)
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hughes <hughes@interchange.ubc.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/12/1999 04:05:06
Hello everybody

I've summarized your responses below.  It's great to get this help,
but regrettably the situation remains the same.

On 10 Sep 1999, From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu> wrote:
> Is the kernel on a mac partition or the netbsd partition?

I've tried from both (the booting drive and the netbsd partition)
     (ls:   4 -rwxr-xr-x    1        0  1821135 Jun 27 23:48 netbsd).

>/  probe (esp0:1:1) SENSE KEY illegal request, ASC/ASCQ not supported.
>/  ite @ grfl not configured   grf0 at mainbus
> esp is the SCSI driver.....

Oh ... okay dokey.

>/  macvid  640 x 480, monochrome
>Interesting that the V dimension was switched (from 870).

Per the below, this seems to be just an unconfigured resource.
>/  grf1 at macvid0
>/  ite at grf1 not configured
>/
>/  boot device sd2
>/  root on sd2a dumps on sd2b
>/  warning: no /dev/console
>/  init: not found

> The SCSI error has me wondering.  From what you've given, it's looking
> for the right partition -- but apparently it's having a problem reading
> it.  (e.g. - you've shown a line from the installer listing init).
> There's a few other lines I'd question as well but I'll hold off because
> I'm not sure I could add anything really useful.

> As far as getting boot messages, under netbsd they're logged to
> /var/log/messages.  the command "dmesg" will also show most of that
> information.  Otherwise, the only way to log them that I'm aware of is
> to a serial console.

Thanks. Nothing got there yet, not surprising I guess.
 36486 -rw-r--r--    1        0        0 Jun 30 08:31 /var/log/messages

On 10 Sep 1999, Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com> wrote:
> Ken Hughes  (hughes@interchange.ubc.ca) wrote:
>>  warning: no /dev/console
>>  init: not found
>
> Bet you forget to do a "Build Devices" in the Installer and you may
> not have instaled all the tarballs.

"Build devices" was a done (successfully I assume) ...
   > ls /dev/console
     3841 crw-------  1   0   0,   0 Sep 10 03:47 /dev/console
I've only installed the kernel, base, etc and man so far.

On 10 Sep 1999, Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Steve Revilak wrote:
>>/ System Config =================
>>/
>>/ Centris 650 16Mb RAM, external SCSI=4, 2x CD,
>                                    ^^^^^^
>>/ Running System 7.1.3 off internal Quantum 250 at SCSI=2.
>>/ Running System 8 on external Conner 500 at SCSI=0.
>>/ Install NetBSD on external Quantum 750 at SCSI=4.
>                                               ^^^^^^
> They're not both at SCSI 4 are they?

Nope.  That's a redundancy.  My error in phrasing.

> The "warning: no /dev/console" message means you forgot to build devices.
> You'll need to do that (which you can do from the installer) before
> proceeding further.

Devices built per installer.  All the devices rolled down the screen.

> Actually serial echo is better. Serial console makes the system use the
> serial port as the main console, while serial echo will leave the console
> at the keyboard/video, but echo everything out to the printer port.
>
> If you have an HP inkjet printer, just enable serial echo, set the
printer
> port to "raw" defaults, and set the default baud rate to 57600. The echo
> messages will show up on the printer. :-)
>
> Take care,

Thank you.

Thanks everybody.  Original report below (cleaned and expanded).
I am still stuck with console and init not being located.

System Config ==================================================
Centris 650 16Mb RAM with Portrait monitor on built-in video
(Sonic ethernet and 2nd NuBus video cards present but unused).
Running System 7.1.3 off internal Quantum 250 at SCSI=2.
Running System 8 on external Conner 500 at SCSI=0.
Install NetBSD on external Quantum 750 at SCSI=4.

NetBSD/Mac68k Installer v1.16 ==================================
(from ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/installation/misc/)
(Build devices  ==> success  ... )

 sd2a: Root 'Root file system' at 96 size 502412
 sd2g: Usr 'NetBSD Usr' at 578454 size 800088
 sd2b: Swap 'Swap' at 502508 size 75946
 sd2d: HFS_PART 'MacOS' at 1378542 size 52975
 sd2e: Other (APPLE_FREE) 'Extra' at 1431517 size 1

(sd2c is the Mac driver, I guess.)

 > mkdir /usr
 > mount /dev/sd2g /usr    [==> OK, stuff is all there, etc. ]
 > fstab force             [==> "Successfully created etc/fstab."]

 > ls sbin/init
   18260 -r-xr--r--    1        0   172032 Jun 29 21:27 sbin/init
 > ls /dev/console
   3841 crw-------    1        0   0,   0 Sep 10 03:47 /dev/console

(Installed netbsd, base, etc and man files.)

Booting ============================================================
Using BSD/Mac68k Booter 1.11.4 with kernel from  ftp.netbsd.org/
       pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/binary/kernel/netbsd.GENERIC-6.tar.gz
  or   pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/binary/kernel/netbsd.MRG-6.tar.gz.
I also tried the kernel dated 99.05.09 from  ftp.NetBSD.ORG/
       pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4/mac68k/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz.
All report the same "no /dev/console" and "init: not found" error.
Tried booting (all extensions off) from Systems 7 and 8.
I don't have a verbatim report for all messages after the kernel
  is entered but pertinent stuff may be as follows:

  intvid0 640 x 870, monochrome
  grf0 at intvid0
  ite0 at grf0 (minimal console)
  probe (esp0:1:1) SENSE KEY illegal request, ASC/ASCQ not supported.
  macvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome
  grf1 at macvid0
  ite at grf1 not configured
  dump device (default sd2b):
  file system (default generic):
  root filesystem type: ext2fs
  boot device sd2
  root on sd2a dumps on sd2b
  warning: no /dev/console
  init: not found
  panic: no init
  Stopped in init at   _Debugger+0x6: unlk a6
        db> print    111d82
        db> x        4e5e4e75
        db> next     After 1 instructions (0 loads 0 stores)
                     Stopped in init at _Debugger +0x8: rts
        db> ...

Messing with debug levels shows that GetGestalt (gestaltSysArchitecture)
(gestaltControlStripAttr), (gestaltDesktopPicturesAttr) and
(gestaltDisplayMgrAttr), etc. all variously fail.

The last debug level 1 and 2 msg is
  Set _mac68k_vrsrc_vec to {0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 }.

Any thoughts, orders, fixes, configs?  I'm dumb about this stuff.
I don't want to give up, but short of trying other SCSI addresses
  and (another) re-install, I'm running out of permutations to try.

The help from this list is very much appreciated.

Ken Hughes