Subject: netbsd on orange pc card?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: ulrich hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/11/1999 08:29:01
by chance, i got an old orange micro 200 pc nubus card (with pcmcia
slot and - upgraded - cyrix 586 120 mhz processor, 1 27 pin simm slot,
which can take up to 32 MB, eventually, using a big-simm, even 64 or
128) from a surplus. i tested it on my q 950 (which is still my main
working machine, running mac os though . . .) and it seems to work
correctly. now some questions in regard:

- would it be possible to install and run netbsd on that card? iow,
would there be a way to have netbsd dealing with the (virtual) hds
those pc cards need as well as with the keyboard, mouse etc.?

i heard from someone here (hauke? or was it elsewhere?), he was running
mklinux successfully under virtual pc, so  . . .

(- someone of my long time apple II friends said, freebsd would be
probably easier to install than netbsd, but intel exclusive. since it's
a kind of cousin of netbsd: *IF* there might be a chance to put netbsd
on that card, there would be chances also with freebsd?).

- i presume, in that pcmcia slot on the card, there would go (for
example) an ethernet card. someone out there, who could point me to an
- eventual - compatibility list.

thanks in advance & kind regards,

ulrich