Subject: Re: binary emulation
To: Jean-Francois Fortier <jefortie@cgocable.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/1999 11:22:55
On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Jean-Francois Fortier wrote:

> HI everyone,
>
> 	I was wondering if it's possible (or planned if not) to execute
> IRIX (5.3) binaries or even macintosh bin on macbsd ?

NetBSD's emulation system will emulate (run) different operating systems,
but usually only ones based on the same CPU family. So all the m68k ports
will emulate m68k sunos and hpux. Alpha machines will emulate Digital Unix
& Linux/Alpha. Etc.

I think IRIX ran on the MIPS platform, so at best only other MIPS ports
would support IRIX emulation. Most likely only ones running in Big-Endian
mode..

As for macos programs, we'd have to emulate much more of the ROM to
support them. No one's done it. You could if you wanted. :-)

Take care,

Bill