Subject: Building SSH 1.2.26
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Bogen <ayti@usa.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/1999 21:33:26
Has anyone here successfully compiled ssh-1.2.26 for NetBSD 1.4.1?

Recently, I installed NetBSD 1.4.1 on a MacIIci, 8MB RAM, 500MB HD.  So
far, I've installed the base, kern, etc, misc, text, secr, and comp
tarballs along with a few packages (joe, libg++, libslang, lynx, perl5,
etc.).

Now, I'm trying to compile ssh from source and having a bit of trouble
doing so.  The ssh source seems to contain a secondary package to handle
some of the math (gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2) which is compiled before ssh.  When I
issue the 'make' command to actually compile the source, the compiler
quits with a message:

gcc:  Internal compiler error:  program cc1 got fatal signal 11

Initially, I couldn't even run the configure script without a seg fault.
However, installing the libg++ package allowed me to run the configure
script from start-to-finish.  Occasionally, after issuing the 'make'
command, the compiler will core dump in such a way as to actually log me
out of my session.  So far, I've tried wiping out the config files and
re-running the configure script, rm'ing the whole ssh dist. dir and then
unpacking a fresh copy, and trying to figure out if I'm missing any other
libs.

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a compiler jockey, and am out of ideas.
If anyone has successfully built ssh-1.2.26, I'd love to hear how they
did it.

Thanks,

David Bogen
ayti@usa.net