Subject: Re: Upgrades...
To: Paul Thompson <paul@abyss.co.nz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/02/1999 05:41:15
On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Paul Thompson wrote:

> Last week I decided to upgrade from 1.3.2 to 1.4.1 to see if it
> fixes my serial problems. Well, I don't know if it did, but the
> upgrade was a complete mess. Nothing worked afterwards. No DHCP,
> No DNS, No PPP and No X... and that was just the OS!
> Now I've got PPP and DHCP working,

Ouch! You don't mean to say that both ppp and X are broken in 1.4.1???
That's surprising. Did you do something like install etc.tgz on top of
your existing /etc? I still don't see how that would break ppp (or X).
Please post details.

> I notice that bind has changed significantly since 1.3.2 and
> doesn't support the same configuration files. All the books I have
> only cover the previous version of named, which worked great for
> my internal lan.

Try 'cd /etc/named; /usr/sbin/named-bootconf <named.boot >named.conf'.
There is also a net/bind4 package. If you decide, after all, to go
with the named.conf(5) man page, be aware that the man page is for a
slightly newer version than that included in 1.4.1, so all of the
listed options don't work!

> Another thing I've noticed is that the man pages have a <AD> with
> inversed video through them at odd points. Which didn't used to
> appear. It happens on either the console or a telnet client with
> either vt100, vt220 or xterm, any ideas?

I think that means "less" doesn't know what to make of the Alt-D=0x83
character. Try setting LESSCHARSET=latin1 in your environment. That's
"setenv PAGER latin1" for [t]csh, else "export LESSCHARSET=latin1".
Both current and post1.4.1-release have already stopped building the
cat pages with -Tlatin1 for this reason.