Subject: Re: ...
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/1999 21:19:13
>Bill Studenmund wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Ben Zeller wrote:
>>

>> > To my knowledge a particular Macintosh model will play the same tones
>> > regardless of what the failure is.  Different models use different sounds
>> > -- the chimes of death are common in most 68k macs, first generation
>> > powermacs made a car crash noise, etc.
>>
>> Not so. While you're right that car crash vs chime is generation
>> dependent, early macs did have different chimes for different errors. One
>> was hardware, there were two different memory chimes, and I think there
>> was a video one. I can't find it, but I had a program which would play the
>> different sad mac chimes.
>
>i've got an lkm that will do it on my q840av (i was messing with sound
>under netbsd and accidentally played everything).  there is quite a bit of
>stuff in there, actually.  it kinda goes clink, clank, clunk and a few
>other things.  rather amusing....

Yeah, but it does so with a jazzy syncopated beat :). I had some bad RAM
once. I used to have a collection of .snd's with the crash sounds for all
the Mac models through PCI PowerMacs, but I deleted it. It was either
obtained from AOL or Info-Mac IIRC. I also had a "Stephen Bobker's
PowerUser's Toolkit 4" floppy disk from MacUser that had a MacWrite file
called "SadMacErrorCodes" which had the hex codes for the sad mac. I don't
think, though, that the sad mac is shown for the chimes of death, but my
memory's failing on that issue.

Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.