Subject: Re: ...
To: M. Meschederu <Markus.Meschederu@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
From: Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/1999 06:47:26
At 2:07 AM -0700 8/30/99, M. Meschederu wrote:
>Have you checked, whether these SIMMS are suitable for the SE/30.
>Back in the days this machine was constructed, 4mb SIMMS sounded
>like sciene fiction :-)
>With my old SE/30 (32mb/1g/NetBSD 1.31) I had a similar problem after
>putting in 4 4mb SIMMs. Apparently the SE/30 doesn't like all 4MB SIMMs,
>mine had three Chips. These Chips worked in newer Macs like Q700 and IIci.
>I traded the three chip SIMMs for eight chip SIMMs and everything worhed fine.

Another thing to check is that the simms are installed in the proper
configuration.  There are 8 simm slots (4 in bank A and 4 in bank B).  All
the simms in bank A must be alike, all the simms in bank B must be alike.
And if you mix sizes of simms, I think the larger ones must be in Bank A.

Example, if you have four 4mb simms, and four 1mb simms, I think the 4mb
simms MUST be in bank A. and the 1mb simms MUST be in bank B.  If you put
them the other way around, or mix and match, it won't work.

I think there are a few web pages on OLD mac's that will have all the
allowable configurations.

good luck,
Roger