Subject: Re: email username and "From: "
To: Guy Santiglia <robin5153@yahoo.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/1999 04:03:02
On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 robin5153@yahoo.com wrote:

> > the allow-changing-from in pine 4.10 goes in the /usr/pkg/etc/pine.conf
> > file.  Its entered as:
> >
> > feature-list=l-allow-changing-from
>                ~~
> What does the "l-" do in that item?  I thought that after
> adding that "allow-changing-form" to the /usr/pkg/pine.conf
> file, I might see it in the pine setup/configuration menu,
> but It wasn't there.

typo?

>   Thanks, I finally got it working the way I wanted it.
> First I made the changes to the /etc/pine.conf.fixed file
> by mistake. And that didn't work. Then I read the your letter
> more carefully and saw that the file was /usr/pkg/etc/pine.conf.

It will also works directly in ~/.pinerc, as I suggested originally.

>   I suppose this is a rather obscure option because it
> enables you forge email. You could send an email
> and say you are someone else.

Remember that UW wrote "pine" for use by their students.

> If someone were to forge an email from someone else,
> How would you find out who actually sent the mail?

The route still shows the originating host. You would have to ask the
postmaster to look in the mail logs. The sending organization takes
the rap if they can't figure out who sent it, so UW does this to make
it difficult for the students to make things difficult for them. Other
organizations use the more foolproof technique of having the transport
agent insert an "X-Sender header".