Subject: Re: email username and "From: "
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@yahoo.com>
From: Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/1999 15:30:58
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

>   Is there anyway to change the "From:" address that pine puts in
> the email messages?

>From the Pine FAQ
(<URL:http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/custom.html#xtocid301935>)

4.10 How do I change my 'From:' line?

Q&A submitted by: Timothy J. Luoma <luomat+pine@luomat.peak.org>

>From Pine's MAIN MENU, choose Setup, then Config. Move down to the
customized-hdrs option.  Press `A' for `Add Value'.  Use the format:
        From: My Real Name <myusername@mydomain.ext>

[ Note: You may wish to add `From:' to the list of `default-composer-hdrs'
        so you can change the From line more easily when composing
        new messages.  The process is the same as for adding the
        `From:' line to the `customized-hdrs' entry. ]

Press <RETURN> to accept the change, and `E' to Exit Configuration.

IMPORTANT: By default you are not allowed to change your ``From:'' line.
        When you go to ``compose'' and get the error:

              [Not allowed to change header "From"]

        then you, if you are installing Pine yourself, or your systems
        administrator (if users changing their From lines does not violate
        your site's policy) will have to recompile PINE.

NOTE: Changing the ``From:'' line may not give you the anonymity you desire,
        since the ``Sender'' or ``X-Sender'' line may still include your
        entire email address.

In Pine 4.00, users can add allow-changing-from to the feature-list in their
pinerc file (by editing the file, not via SETUP CONFIGURATION);
recompiling is not necessary.

See also 7.12 What do I need to do when compiling PINE to let users change
their ``From:'' line? in Info for systems administrators, developers, etc.

-Dave