Subject: Re: disk toast?
To: Ben Zeller <zeller@cif.rochester.edu>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/27/1999 15:25:20
>Hello,
>
>I aquired a 800 MB Quantum Lightening drive that I popped in an LC3 (with
>fpu) and loaded NetBSD onto.  When I first boot up, I get all sorts of
>errors looking like this when I get to the file system check:
>
>The following disk sectors could not be read: <disk sector>
>sdo(ncrscsi0:0:0): Check Conditions on CDB: <hex code>
>Sense Key: Media Error
>Info Field: <string of numbers>
>Comment Info: <string of numbers>
>ASC/ASCQ: Unrecoverable Read Error
>
>The error appears several times with different numbers everywhere I put the
>brackets.  Every time I run a command, like fsck, more, or man, the same
>errors pop up once or twice and then the command runs.  In the case of fsck
>or fsck_ffs, they are unable to repair the problem and just repeat an
>seemingly infinite string of those error messages (I got up to about twenty
>before I stopped).
>
>I partitioned the 800 MB into a 40 MB HFS, 20 MB swap, and remainder as usr
>and root, using APS power tools then Mkfs to format.  The installer worked
>as well as it normally does -- I installed base, etc, kernel, text, and
>half of man and misc before got the scsiread #5 error.  No strange errors
>on boot except the one listed above.

You should try an SBC kernel. It's very likely that you'd have to reinstall
after changing kernels, but it looks like your problem is the classic
ncr-versus-sbc thing...the fpu actually doesn't matter, as NetBSD runs fine
on '030s without fpu...it's just the LC040 that has problems.

HTH
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.