Subject: disk toast?
To: NetBSD List <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Zeller <zeller@cif.rochester.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/27/1999 11:31:15
Hello,

I aquired a 800 MB Quantum Lightening drive that I popped in an LC3 (with
fpu) and loaded NetBSD onto.  When I first boot up, I get all sorts of
errors looking like this when I get to the file system check:

The following disk sectors could not be read: <disk sector>
sdo(ncrscsi0:0:0): Check Conditions on CDB: <hex code>
Sense Key: Media Error
Info Field: <string of numbers>
Comment Info: <string of numbers>
ASC/ASCQ: Unrecoverable Read Error

The error appears several times with different numbers everywhere I put the
brackets.  Every time I run a command, like fsck, more, or man, the same
errors pop up once or twice and then the command runs.  In the case of fsck
or fsck_ffs, they are unable to repair the problem and just repeat an
seemingly infinite string of those error messages (I got up to about twenty
before I stopped).

I partitioned the 800 MB into a 40 MB HFS, 20 MB swap, and remainder as usr
and root, using APS power tools then Mkfs to format.  The installer worked
as well as it normally does -- I installed base, etc, kernel, text, and
half of man and misc before got the scsiread #5 error.  No strange errors
on boot except the one listed above.

Is the disk toast?  Should I try reformatted with Mkfs and then
reinstalling again?

Thanks for any help,

Ben