Subject: Re: Forgotten password help?
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1999 18:16:18
On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> >On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, David Linker wrote:
> >
> >root:EncryptedPasswordIsHere:0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
> >
> >Make it look like
> >
> >root::0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh

> Actually that _shouldn't_ work, since the master.passwd file isn't used for
> password lookups. What is used is pwd.db, a binary database formed from
> master.passwd. You should boot into single-user mode, do a vipw, delete the
> encrypted password & then exit to multi-user mode.

right you are.  I'm halfway thinking in slowlaris mode where /etc/shadow
is used, but of course there's no installer...  Your method, of
course, is the right one.  Thanks for the correction.

-Dan
uot;users" listed, including toor. > >Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I already realize that the best one >is "remember the password"! I am still trying to remember! > >DTL I am sure that you will get a million replies, but boot single user (look for a check box in the booter application) and then you will be root. Then as root you can change the root passwd or set it to nothing using the standard tools (vipw, or passwd). -------- Christopher R. Bowman crb@ChrisBowman.com http://www.ChrisBowman.com/