Subject: Re: Native disklabels
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1999 22:40:56
At 21:39 Uhr +0200 25.08.1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>IIRC, the unresolved issue was exactly where to put them. Presently,
>"disklabel -r" writes to the upper half of block 0, which interferes
>with the LaCie driver. It seems to only put private settings there for
>use of the partitioning utility--the driver works fine as long as you
>don't try to launch the utility, which then demands that you
>re-install the driver.

>Where did your patches place the disklabel?

Interesting - I hadn't even thought about mixing the two patterns. If you
want to use the disk for MacOS, anyway, I feel it is pointless to meddle
with the MacOS formatter's stuff. After all, you have to get MacOS driver
code from somewhere, and the MacOS partitioning scheme is way more sane
than the BSD one, IMO.

No, rather than picking the most limited and braindead partitioning scheme
(Wintel mbr) NetBSD/* should support native disklabels for BSD only disks.
It would be nice if I could take a BSD disk from mac68k to sparc to i386
and simply write to it instead of having to go via FAT 8.3 or tarring to
the raw device. And why bother with a MacOS driver when the whole drive is
devoted to NetBSD?

	hauke