Subject: Re: Cross-assembler for Mac
To: Richard Pennington <rich@introl.com>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1999 14:42:30
>Hi Dan,
>
>I was out of the office the last few days and didn't see the info and
>support email. (I try to get away from at least some of it!)

Oh, then I apologise for the remark about support!

>2. Get our old MacII cx working for testing.
>	We have an old MacII cx that we havent used for a while. It seems
>	functional except that the hard drive (an 80MB disk!) has broken.

 The 80 is too small to do anything serious with anyway.

>	I looked into putting NetBSD up on it a couple of months ago,
>	but from what I saw I needed a working MacOS to bootstrap NetBSD.

Yes, that is correct.

>	Can you boot NetBSD from a Mac floppy, bypassing MacOS?

Not yet - I think someone is working on it.

>Having 2. is less important than 1. although I'd like to test the software
>on the Mac a little before I release it. ;-)

I volunteer my NetBSD 1.4 system on a IIvx with 68MB RAM, 670 MB root&usr
disk, 140 MB swap as a beta site. (For that matter, I would be happy to do
some programming work, especially on a Mac MPW version). And I have LOTS of
6809, 6800, 6801, and 6805 code to hammer on it with - some of the 6809
code is even set up to use a larger-than-68K memory image.

>Having said that, I could set up a Mac cross deveopment environment which
>might take a while because of our time constraints. Ideally, if a package,
>or some other easily available form of cross development environment
>exists I could probably have a Mac version in a day or so.

I have never set up a package before, but I need to learn how anyway!

Dan Killoran