Subject: Re: Native disklabels, was: Partitioning&formatting...
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1999 14:39:42
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Hauke Fath wrote:

> ISTR that the kernel's disklabel write routines are #ifdef'd out. Once upon
> a long ago when I started work on the iwm driver, I had patches that
> enabled reading and writing BSD disklabels on mac68k. I even submitted them
> to Scott but they either were not approved or got lost in his mailbox, who
> knows.
>
> Anyway: What is the general opinion on enabling native disklabels for
> mac68k? We could always step back from writing if we found a  magic number
> indicating a MacOS partition table.

IIRC, the unresolved issue was exactly where to put them. Presently,
"disklabel -r" writes to the upper half of block 0, which interferes
with the LaCie driver. It seems to only put private settings there for
use of the partitioning utility--the driver works fine as long as you
don't try to launch the utility, which then demands that you
re-install the driver.

I'd consider putting it inside a proper Apple Partititon Map
partition. That way gives you enough rope to hang yourself. :-)
In any case, the general consensus was that the i386 way, of looking
for it in several different places, kind of blows.

Where did your patches place the disklabel?