Subject: Re: Partitioning&formatting...
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mat=EDas?= Giovannini <matias@k-bell.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1999 15:04:47
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Matías Giovannini wrote:
>
> I hadn't realized pdisk worked under MacOS. That's a good thing.

MkLinux had a MacOS pdisk from the beginning. In fact, the code assumes
that if it's not Linux, it must be MacOS, and includes SIOUX.h.

> > Well, disklabel sd1 and disklabel -r sd1 say different things. You imply
> > they must be the same?
>
> "disklabel -r" evidently {reads,writes} a proper *BSD disklabel to
> block 0 of the raw partition, where it can be read using the raw
> device. No mac68k kernel code uses it, though! If you change the
> Apple-style partition table using a program that groks same, that will
> show up immediately on "disklabel", no "-r", and this one counts. Very
> different from i386 and other ports that have in-kernel disklabels!

what I did was
# disklabel -i -r sd1
<<my stuff>>
# disklabel -r sd1 > foo
# disklabel -R sd1 foo

and I thought, well, now they must be the same, but nope: "disklabel
sd1" kept groking the disk's original (that is, as formatted by Drive
Setup) partition table. Furthermore, "newfs /dev/sd1a" only saw the
small "partition map" partition instead of the big "usr" partition I was
trying to create.

On the other hand, this disk isn't working as it should. So I'm
beginning to think that maybe the controller is fried in some deep brown
way, and it's none of disklabel's fault. Thoughts?

Matías.

--
I got your message. I couldn't read it. It was a cryptogram.
-- Laurie Anderson