Subject: Re: Partitioning&formatting...
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mat=EDas_Giovannini?= <matias@k-bell.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1999 11:24:02
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Mat=EDas Giovannini wrote:

> > Alternatively, you can try to build pdisk
> > <ftp://ftp.mklinux.apple.com/pub/wip/pdisk/980218/>,
> > and see how that works.
>=20
> I tried, but I found many EXT2 dependencies I didn't wanted to work
> around. Put it in another way, I tried compiling with -D__linux__, but
> it didn't work. I tried pdisk on the MacOS side and everything went
> fine, but still I wonder.

Hmmm. Too bad. -D__linux__ is probably a bad idea, unless you're
running Linux. We have an ext2fs filesystem, so that should not be a
showstopper. I'll put porting this on my list of things to do.

I hadn't realized pdisk worked under MacOS. That's a good thing.

> Well, disklabel sd1 and disklabel -r sd1 say different things. You imply
> they must be the same?

"disklabel -r" evidently {reads,writes} a proper *BSD disklabel to
block 0 of the raw partition, where it can be read using the raw
device. No mac68k kernel code uses it, though! If you change the
Apple-style partition table using a program that groks same, that will
show up immediately on "disklabel", no "-r", and this one counts. Very
different from i386 and other ports that have in-kernel disklabels!