Subject: Re: gnu install
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1999 14:19:00
>On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
>
>> After installing gnusrc.tgz under /, I cd'ed to /usr/src/gnu/dist and,
>> following the instructions of the README, I typed
>
>The dist directory is there to comply with the FSF license
>requirements. Ignore that for now. You normally re-build the gnu stuff
>(including the compiler) as part of a complete build. For example,
>anyone might download and install the entire contents of
><ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release/tar_files/src/>, with
>the possible exception of {domestic,etc,games,gnu}.tar.gz, build and
>install a kernel, and then "make build" at the top.

Ok, ok, not so fast... I have, in fact, installed all the {}.tar.gz stuff
(although I am installing 1.4, not current), and I have built & installed
the kernel. But when you say

"make build" at the top

by "top" do you mean / or /usr/src/gnu  ??? Or someplace else??

>> What am I doing wrong? Is there some sort of cannonical order in which this
>> stuff should be installed?
>
>Take a look at
><http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/index.html>.

I will go fetch it in a minute, but I am not installing current.

>Now 'sed -e "/current/release/"' and you'll have an even better chance
>of success.

Again, from what directory?

> That should work with only a few snafus starting all the
>back from 1.3. If you build the sources for your exact release, you're
>practically guaranted success, but what would be the point then?

Thanks,

Dan Killoran