Subject: Re: Hardware Upgrades for MacIIci
To: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rmottola@spm.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1999 09:48:00
>Oh, the on-board Ethernet in Quadras (I think all of them, but
>somebody will correct me if I'm wrong) uses the AAUI connector.  I
>don't know of anybody still making those transceivers, and they were
>never that cheap, so that may be a hidden cost of getting a Quadra
>instead of upgrading the IIci.  Just something else to add to the
>equation when making the decision.

I am a proud Quadra owner, that still resists a g3 for it's faithful
performance (maybe also 'cuz i lack the green sheets, but that.....) and i
easily found a new AAUI transceiver from 'FOCUS' and it perfoms very well.
Italian lire to us$ should be 35-40$ new. Easily rivals in speed a 9500
integrated ethernet.

As far as the MacIIci regards, leave it so, don't update the processor, the
25mhz 030 makes his job well after all. You can tri a nubus ethernet von
MacConnect or maybe an Asanthe.

hope that helps.

Bye

	ric

PS: here in italy getting 30 pin ram is quite impossible, my MacII still
has 8 meg :-( I found 4 megs ram simms in a IIci, but they don't work in my
MacII, so i think the IIci can accept also non Pal.