Subject: Re: gnu install
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1999 08:46:57
On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:

> After installing gnusrc.tgz under /, I cd'ed to /usr/src/gnu/dist and,
> following the instructions of the README, I typed

The dist directory is there to comply with the FSF license
requirements. Ignore that for now. You normally re-build the gnu stuff
(including the compiler) as part of a complete build. For example,
anyone might download and install the entire contents of
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release/tar_files/src/>, with
the possible exception of {domestic,etc,games,gnu}.tar.gz, build and
install a kernel, and then "make build" at the top.

> What am I doing wrong? Is there some sort of cannonical order in which this
> stuff should be installed?

Take a look at
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/index.html>.

Now 'sed -e "/current/release/"' and you'll have an even better chance
of success. That should work with only a few snafus starting all the
back from 1.3. If you build the sources for your exact release, you're
practically guaranted success, but what would be the point then?