Subject: Re: Hardware Upgrades for MacIIci
To: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/1999 15:58:15
On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Eric Damien Berna wrote:

> Oh, the on-board Ethernet in Quadras (I think all of them, but
> somebody will correct me if I'm wrong) uses the AAUI connector.  I
> don't know of anybody still making those transceivers, and they were
> never that cheap, so that may be a hidden cost of getting a Quadra
> instead of upgrading the IIci.  Just something else to add to the
> equation when making the decision.

As of only a couple months ago, AAUI transceivers could still be bought at
MacWarehouse new from two or three manufacturers.  Cheaper on eBay used,
though (about half the new price).  As for no longer being used, unless
they dropped it in the last year or so, Apple's laser printers still use
AAUI.

Later,
David