Subject: Re: Problems with 540
To: Claxton Devin-EDC022 <Devin_Claxton-EDC022@email.mot.com>
From: Sean J. Schluntz <schluntz@agames.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1999 11:43:33
In message <1DB5656C6E10D211B8060060B068A81D03A6B060@plnt015.comm.mot.com>, Cla
xton Devin-EDC022 writes:
>I was expecting problems to occur with my 68LC040 540, but, from the
>information available on your site and others', I at least expected to be
>able to boot into a shell in single user mode.  Instead the boot hangs after
>the line "sd0a dumps on sd0b".  Normally I can drop into the debugger just
>fine, but the keyboard won't work.  On only one occasion was I able to
>actually use the keyboard and thus the debugger (I'm not sure why), and see
>that the boot was apparently in an "Idle" loop.  Is this normal?  Perhaps
>I'm missing a step, but I believe I've followed the install/boot directions
>exactly.  My system is a normal (40M swap, 320M Root&Usr, 12M ram)
>configuration.  Do you have any insight into this problem?

Try booting off of the GENERIC_SBC kernel, or even better boot off of the PHOENIX kernel available from

ftp://ftp.aa.ap.titech.ac.jp/pub/yanagisw/NetBSD/netbsd_PB550c_SONIC.tar.gz

The SBC kernel will boot your system, but the kernel made specifically for the PB550c fixes a mouse problem with the GENERIC kernel (and carves 200k off of the GENERIC which is good when you have less ram.)

-Sean