Subject: Re: Incorrect date
To: Eric Zylstra <ericz@dura.spc.uchicago.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1999 12:00:07
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Eric Zylstra wrote:

> >On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Eric Zylstra wrote:
>
> I thought NetBSD was supposed to get this info from the Booter.
> Otherwise why is there an option to set the time and offset and to
> select autoset?

Only on boot, of course. The modern kernels also read the clock
directly, but check it for sanity against the time passed in by the
Booter, and the timestamp of the file-system.

> I ended up with the correct time zone, wrong time, after executing
> step 2.  By issuing "date <my current time>" I was able to set it.
> It seems the time options in the Booter are useless.  Anyone know why?

Do you have the Map Control Panel set to "Chicago"? Now that you have
the right link in /etc/localtime, if you set that, and set the Booter
offset to "300" minutes, the time soon after booting should match that
in the Date & Time Control Panel. Keep in mind that, although the real
time clock typically loses no more than a second per month, the NetBSD
clock loses up to 3 hours _per_ _day_. MacOS < 8.0 also lost time
badly. Once you set the real time clock in MacOS, either OS will be
most accurate just after booting.