Subject: Re: Incorrect date
To: Eric Zylstra <ericz@dura.spc.uchicago.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1999 05:12:40
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Eric Zylstra wrote:

> I've tried following the instruction on the FAQ for setting the date
> on my machine, but still it refuses to report time as anything
> reasonable.
>
> When it is 4:25 CDT (in Chicago--set correctly in Mac OS 7.1 Map
> control panel), I can issue the "date" command and get 14:04 GMT.
> That isn't even the correct GMT.  I've set the Date & Time control
> panel correctly.

This following should cover all the bases:

1) Uncheck, save, recheck, save the checkbox in the Booter that says
"automatically set .... date & time".

2) Create the link to /etc/localtime:
	cd /etc; ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago localtime

3) Either 'unset "TZ"' in your environment, or set it correctly to
"America/Chicago":
	export TZ='America/Chicago'

With "2" or "3", you should at least have the time reported as CDT.
If it's still off, try setting it with "date", "date 0425" (if you're
an early riser, otherwise "date 1625").