Subject: Re: About LinuxPPC & NetBSD
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/17/1999 09:06:55
I'm a long time user of NetBSD on old Mac hardware, and I tried
various Linux versions (MkLinux, LinuxPPC) on not quite as old Mac
hardware.  I wouldn't necessarily say that one is better than the
other, but I do have problems with the many subtile differences in
the two systems.  So I gave up on Linux and went back to what I'm
familiar with, NetBSD.  Especially now that it runs quite well on my
Power Mac 8500.

I can see two reasons to want to switch to LinuxPPC.  One, that you
want to try Linux, and two, that you want to run a Unix clone on you
Power Mac hardware.  If it's the first, have fun, and maybe you'll be
back when you want to use the system instead of learn the system.  Or
maybe not, it depends upon which you prefer after trying both.   If
it's the second, then I recommend you stick with NetBSD, and not
waste your time learning about all the differences so you can setup
the machine to do what you want.

Now back to your actual questions, "how easy is it to compile source
from NetBSD on LPPC R5?"  It depends upon the sources.  If you're
compiling a widely used program, say Apache for example, it'll be
easy.  The developers of most popular programs will already have
included support for Linux.  There will probably even be a
precompiled package that you can down load and install.  If you're
compiling your own software, it then would depend upon how your code
is written, and how tightly it depends upon NetBSD.

For your second question, "Is there other ways to share from the
NetBSD platform?"  Stay on NetBSD.  Remotely use a NetBSD box,
through telnet, NFS, XWindows, etc.  Add an extra hard disk, and dual
boot.

Have fun.

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com