Subject: Re: MacOS -> NetBSD on null modem?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Andy Finnell <andyf@vei.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/16/1999 20:53:58
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > > Do you have a nameserver running on the NetBSD box? If not, use the ip
> > > addr's that your ISP supplies.
> >
> > No, I don't have nameserver on the NetBSD box.  And niether the Mac or
> > NetBSD are connected to the internet.  I have a hosts file for the MacOS
> > and one for the NetBSD box.  Do I *have* to be connected to the
> > internet? I can set that up, but that's not what I'm aiming for here.  I
> > just want the Mac and NetBSD box to communicate through telnet and ftp.
>
> Sorry, I must not have been paying attention. With no nameserver at
> all, reverse dns lookups will fail, but most telnet and ftp clients
> will connect anyway. The best way to troubleshoot this is to listen on
> the incoming interface with "tcpdump". Use "tcpdump -s 155 xx0" to
> decode dns and reverse-dns requests, to see if that's even the problems.

First, I got my ISP connection going on my netbsd box so it does have a
connection to the internet.  Next, I used tcpdump to monitor packets
going to and from my netbsd box on the ppp0 interface ( from the netbsd
box to my ISP) and on the ppp1 interface ( between my mac and netbsd box
).  Using my *very* limited knowledge of tcpdump, I was able to figure
out that packets would go from my Mac to my netbsd box, out to my ISP,
back to my netbsd box, and then stop.  Any ideas why it stops when it
gets back to my netbsd box?  If you need to see any of my config files,
I can post 'em.  Or if you need to see a tcpdump, I can post that too.

Thanks in advance,

	-andy