Subject: Re: NetBSD and Battery Level tool?
To: None <dkoizumi@maelstrom.cs.fit.edu, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Sean J. Schluntz <schluntz@agames.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/16/1999 08:59:14
In message <19990813155359Q.dkoizumi@cs.fit.edu>, dkoizumi@maelstrom.cs.fit.edu
 writes:
>I'm considering to run NetBSD on my Powerbook520c after replacing CPU
>to 68040 which is of PowerBook550c. Let me ask you three questions about that.
>
>> I've got a happy pb540c running X now.......
>Don't you have any problem when you use X on your PB540c??
>If I install NetBSD, I will hope to use color X-window sistem. Can I
>use that as 256 color?

I found that 640x480x256 color does not work very well at all, the colors are all messed up, but 640x480x256 greyscale worked great.  And if the 520c supports it my laptop works really well in 640x400x65k color (I don't mind the loss of of desktop)

>Moreover, can you use modem/printer port to use a external modem??
>That's also important question for me. I would like to dialup to
>connect internet.

The Printer port and the Internal Modem are both recognized by the kernel as two serial ports.  But I havn't gotten the system to talk to the internal modem yet.  I'm about to ask the list about it.

>Finally, I have a 32MB memory module. Now total memory of my PB520c with MacOS
>is 40MB. Do you think this 40MB memory will work on NetBSD??

My system is running with 36megs of RAM and a 40meg swapspace and I have not had a problem with it yet.  I even used the new Mozilla for a while (a short while) but it really does not work on a 640x400 screen. (besides taking 3 minutes to load on this old laptop ;)

-Sean