Subject: Re: DT and large screens (1024x768 and 1152x870)
To: Grant Stockly <gussie@stockly.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/16/1999 00:58:59
On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Grant Stockly wrote:

> I'm working on setting up two workstations using two 21" fixed resolution
> monitors.
>
> BSD so far boots up fine on the 21" 1152x870 (old Apple brand 13W3) but in
> DT, it looks like this:
>
> Screen 1                                                         Screen 1
> ***************************************************************  **************
> ***************************************************************  **************

Yes. The line buffers are too small.

> Its not to size, but is there a fix somewhere for larger resolutions?

The easiest work around is probably to use the larger font. (Command-F
switches fonts.)

> I havn't tried the 1024x768 monitor yet since I forgot the RasterOps card
> at home for it.
>
> It appears that DT might work on the 1024x768 monitor (the boundaries look
> like they would fit).

Not quite. Even at 800x600, it comes up one character short.

I looked at this some time ago. The foolproof fix, to introduce checks
to wrap each line properly, has the potential to impact performance.
Simply increasing the length of the buffers is dumb--how big do would
they have to be to satisfy every case, and then how much memory would
that waste on 640x480 monitors? I've come to think that a decent
solution would be to enter the resolution with a command line switch,
with suitable defaults, or even better, to detect the resolution at
start up and set the length of the buffers accordingly.