Subject: Re: boot kernel wants ext2fs root filesystem
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Carlson <*stevec*@accessone.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/12/1999 21:42:22
In muc.lists.netbsd.port.mac68k, you wrote:
>Konrad Schnetzler wrote:
>> I have spent two long nights for installing first time MacBSD onto my
>> Quadra 840av.
>> First, i have tried the version 1.4.
>> With Mkfs_1.45 I created a Swap and a RootAndUsr Partition an formatted
>> the
>> Root partition with an UFS 4.3 filesystem.
>> With the Installation Utility Ver. 1.1g I have installed base.tgz,
>> etc.tgz and kern.tgz.
>> I try to boot with the Booter Ver. 1.11.3.
>> But during the boot process i get allways the following errors:

>> root file system type : ext2fs
>> warning: lookup /dev/console: error 20
>> exec /sbin/init: error 20
>> exec /sbin/oinit: error 20
>> exec /sbin/init.bak: error 20
>> init: not found
>> panic: no init
>> Stopped in init at    _Debugger+0x6:   unlk   a6
>> db>

I have experienced this as well.  I had installed Linux/mac68k on the partition and then
switched to FFS with the NetBSD newfs -O command.  The problem started when I switched
from a 1.3 kernel to a 1.4 kernel.  I built a kernel without the ext2fs filesystem and the
problem went away.  The 1.4 GENERIC kernels contain support for ext2fs while 1.3
does not.

	Steven Carlson <stevec@accessone.com>