Subject: Re: package dependencies
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/11/1999 08:53:23
On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 08:11:37PM -0400, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> in /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql-client/Makefile, you will see the line
> USE_PERL5=      yes
>
> which triggers the PERL dependency.  Then in the file
> /usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk
> there are the lines:
>
> .if defined(USE_PERL5)
> DEPENDS+=               perl-5.00404:${PKGSRCDIR}/lang/perl5
> .endif

I'm also in the situation that I want to install some packages, but
don't want to let pkgsrc decide which  perl version to use.

Maybe it't time to do (at least) one of the following:

 -  upgrade pkgsrc's perl to 5.005_03
 -  allow for an mk.conf option that disables the requirement
    for a pkgsrc-installed perl, e.g. change the .if line to
    something like .if defined(USE_PERL5) && !defined(USE_PRIVATE_PERL).
 -  maybe even prepare several perl's in pkgsrc and having a
    mk.conf variable to choose which one to use.

- Erik