Subject: Re: IP-NAT? NOT!
To: Chris Brown <chrsbrwn@mindspring.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/1999 09:48:43
On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Chris Brown wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 07:34:48PM -0400, Christopher P. Gill wrote:
> > map sn0 192.168.1.0/24 -> 123.123.123.123/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:40000
> > map sn0 192.168.1.0/24 -> 123.123.123.123/32
>
> The second map line might be confusing things. You only need one.

Actually you do need the second one. It makes ping (which uses ICMP) work
through the NAT.

> As to cabling: the outbound interface should be hooked directly to the adsl
> modem/cable modem (using a crossover cable if necessary -- most are built
> so that it's not necessary, however). The inbound interface should be
> hooked directly to a normal port on the hub (not the uplink port, that's
> only for connecting to another hub).
>
> All machines on the internal net should be set to use (in your case)
> 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway.
>
> You should be able to ping both a machine on the inside network, and one on
> the outside, from the NetBSD machine. From an inside machine, you should be
> able to do a traceroute to show it going through the NetBSD box and out
> onto the internet.

Right to the above. It should work fine.

Grab a copy of MacTCPPing, from Apple. I got it through one of the search
engines, and it helps.

Tell all the internal machines about the nameservers from your DSL
provider.

Take care,

Bill