Subject: Re: Location of packages
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1999 14:05:49
Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
>>On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
>>
>>> pkg_add addnerd-1.6.tgz
>>>
>>> and it replied:
>>>
>>> pkg_add: Database-dir /var/db/pkg cannot be generated, aborting.
>>>
>>> but I checked, and /var/db/pkg is there, but empty. I tried deleting pkg
>>> and tried again, with the same result.
>>>

>mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
>
>>you did do the pkg_add as root?
>
>yes. Not sudo, but actual root.
>
>Dan Killoran

Hi Dan

First try delete the addnerd by "pkg_delete addnerd-1.6" (without the
quotes ofcourse)
If not then  go to /var/tmp and clean out all inst* you find.
Then go to /var/db/pkg and rm -rf the addnerd-directory.
After this just try pkg_add  again (or do first pkg_info to check the
dependencies).
If the packageinstall breaks again try pkg_add -I addnerd-1.6.tgz.
Works mostly for me.

Brings me to the following Questions:
1.are the problems i seem to have with installing packages related to
diskusage (plenty available though), diskquota (on or off), memory
available (RAM and/or SWAP), the nice process etc.(...... oh well you know
what i mean.)
(e.g. doing ps shows /proc 100%, /kern 100%).
It feels to me like /var (which is on the same partition as /root and /usr)
is having a limit somehow and filling up quickly.

2.And is this also related to problems with "make depend" after "config" a
new kernel?

TIA,
T@W