Subject: Re: ed bug??
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1999 14:11:59
Dave Huang wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
> > I type:
> >
> > shutdown now
> >
> > and wait until it is done (asks me for a shell or CR)
> > Then I hit the power button on the back of the machine, then the start
> > button on the keyboard.
>
> "shutdown now" just takes the machine to single user mode. It's still
> not safe to turn off or reboot the machine. You want either "shutdown -h
> now" (to turn off the machine) or "shutdown -r now" (to reboot it).
>
> The machine'll reboot faster too, since it won't have to fsck your
> filesystems (they'll have been cleanly unmounted, and fsck will know
> that they don't need checking).

the above isn't quite correct anymore (as of about 1.4 :-)  since it
appears i forgot to cc the list on my original reply, here it is again,
more or less:

shutdown now		if you want to go to single-user
shutdown -h now		if you want to halt the machine but not actually
			power it off
shutdown -p now		if you want to halt the machine and power it off
shutdown -r now		if you want to reboot the machine
reboot -n		if you've just run fsck and have modified the
			filesystem

later.

colin