Subject: Re: Location of packages
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1999 11:14:05
On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> I'm not sure about pkg_add, as I always do source package installs, but
> with those, it'll automatically "su" for you when you try to install. At
> the right phase, it'll stop & ask for root password.

"make" invokes "su" to open a shell. pkg_add doesn't currently do
this, and I'm not sure that it should. It might be desirable to launch
pkg_add from a menu like interface. How is it supposed to invoke "su"
without a command line?

That gives me an idea. It would be trivial to set up /root/.lynxrc or
/root/.mailcap to invoke pkg_add from within lynx. Would that be "too
easy"???