Subject: Re: Location of packages
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1999 11:02:23
On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> Same thing here...I believe you're getting those from the distfiles
> directory, and those are source distributions. If you wish to use pkg_add,
> you must go to the /pub/NetBSD/packages/1.whatever/mac68k/ to get the
> packages, or alternatively, you can usually substitute amiga for mac68k
> (someone please correct me if that's not still correct).

All the m68k ports are now soft links to "m68k". As a consequence, if
you have one, you have them all. Since last month, you also see all
the versions available: mostly older, but also newer (if there is a
*-current package).

> That's one of the reasons that I cringe when people reply to the question:
> "How do I install packages"
> with the reply
> Pkg_add nameOfPackages
>
> since that's simply not true. The correct answer is to tell them about both
> installation methods.

There's an up-to-date, well written FAQ with links to all the other
important urls at

<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html>

I see that it doesn't mention anoncvs as a method for getting pkgsrc.
Except for that, it looks pretty complete.