Subject: Re: Location of packages
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1999 12:41:59
>Ok, I did that (cpin'd addnerd-1.6.tgz onto the disk under /)
>and typed
>pkg_add addnerd-1.6.tgz

If you got the addnerd-1.6.tgz from the /pun/NetBSD/packages/distfiles,
then it's not a binary package, and must be installed by compiling. In that
case, copy it to /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles/ and then cd into
/use/pkgsrc/sysutils/addnerd and type "make install". Then it should churn
for quite awhile and finally end with "Registering installed package
addnerd-1.6"

>So, assuming that the addnerd-1.6.tgz file was corrupted, I tried again,
>using cu-sudo.v1.5.9p1.tar.gz, with the same results. It seems unlikely
>that both would be corrupted.

Same thing here...I believe you're getting those from the distfiles
directory, and those are source distributions. If you wish to use pkg_add,
you must go to the /pub/NetBSD/packages/1.whatever/mac68k/ to get the
packages, or alternatively, you can usually substitute amiga for mac68k
(someone please correct me if that's not still correct).

That's one of the reasons that I cringe when people reply to the question:
"How do I install packages"
with the reply
Pkg_add nameOfPackages

since that's simply not true. The correct answer is to tell them about both
installation methods.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.